Friday, September 30, 2011

Kyle's Lock-Street - 9/30/11


Last night, my roommates and I decided to head down to our local watering hole to partake in a male ritual that has gone back generations. Taking advantage of a ludicrious Thirsty Thursday special at our version of McSwiggens - I’m man enough to admit that I enjoy How I Met Your Mother - we guzzled multiple Lax Sodas, played darts, and watched football. During our malking (Man Talk), we discuss the intricacies of taking drugs, the beautiful dance of courting prostitutes, and sports.
After several lax sodas, the discussion of gambling came up. Now let me give you a little background on this topic. I am a degenerate gambler, my friends are degenerate gamblers, and the worst part about it is we don’t have any money. For instance, a simple game of darts or FIFA turns into $50 a head or $10 a head on who can crush their beer first. head on who can crush their beer first. Now while these small escapes help manage our addiction for throwing money away, we really go deep on Pro Sports.
Last night, my roommates, Mick and Nate, decided to bet on USF over Pitt. USF was -3.5, which means they are essentially needed to win by 4 points or more to cover. This appeared to be a lock as USF (16 in the land) was playing stifling D like a crack addict looking for a rock and, with a quarterback who was making it Rain like Pacman Jones, they were destined to beat the lowly Panthers. It was a 4-0 team vs. a 2-2 team that had previously lost to a team that USF had beaten. This obvious smashing was on the corner of Lock Street and Easy Winning Avenue. After watching 1 half of football, we realized that there was an issue. One that deep pre-game analysis would not allow you to see. This issue was a pint sized, 5-9, 195 Junior named Jimmy Graham. And there is the x-factor that could not be foreseen. This little heap of power ran for 226 yards and two TD’s and caught the skin for 42 yards. Goddamn this asshole. He’s crashing our party.
There is no exact science to sports gambling. If this were not a lucrative industry, then there would not be 1000 avenues that allow a slob like me to partake. In the end it is very rare to come out a winner, but why do we put money down on sports we love and teams we don’t give a flying fuck about? It’s because, as my roommate Mick mentioned, “It’s fucking fun”. It’s sort of like, alcohol makes ugly girls hot, betting makes shitty games fun.
What the hell am I rambling about, you ask? Each week, I’m going to discuss my sports locks of the week in hopes it guides you to financial bliss. I will make this disclaimer; I will not make you money. As mentioned before, there are no such things as a true lock. That’s why it is called gambling and not welfare. I will, however, give you some decent games to bet on with my analysis. If you don’t like it or disagree with my thought process, well then you can go fuck yourself. I’m not holding a gun to anyone’s head, although there are a lot of people I would like to.

Lock-Street
9/30
Biggest Locks of the night
1. Under on the Yankees<>Tigers game. (7). Two pitching titans playing in spotlight equals an old–fashioned pitching fest. If you like boring, low run games, then this is the game for you. Justin Verlander vs. CC Sabathia. Let’s look at the stats. This season, Verlander is 24-5 with a 2.40 ERA and Sabathia is 19-8 with a 3.00 ERA. Combine their ERA’s are lower than the over-under. Also, Verlander is the hottest pitcher in baseball right now and CC dominates in the playoffs.

2. Rays at plus 1.5. They are feeling confident and bringing that swagger to Texas. Longoria is on a hot streak and should not be dismissed. Granted, Texas is currently 14-16 recently; the Rays have played each and every game in September like it is a playoff game and have flourished. At this point they are used to the pressure. Not only will they cover, they will start this serious

Best of luck.

- Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment