Friday, June 15, 2012

The Best Surf Segments In One Place?

Having just returned from visiting my good friend in Havaii, a trip on which I surfed outside the contiguous 48 for the first time in my life, my surf stoke's at a longtime high. Even more, these surfs in Hawaii were much more like the old surf expeditions I used to go on with my buds back in the day than like my current "Shit, get in the water, surf, get out, got stuff to do" rush job I've come to associate with beach life. Which is funny because growing up surfing was never about just getting it done, get a wave to clear my head and then getting on with my life. It was something I liked to do with my friends, in great part a way to escape the competition and rat race of the modern dryland world. As such I watched surf videos exclusively. Never contests. Never would you see me worshiping Kelly Slater's victory laps at Pipe but rather you'd catch me watching him in epic flicks like NO DESTINATION . In fact, I ran a surf club in my landlocked Baltimore private school where we met every week to watch videos varying from ENDLESS SUMMER to BIG WEDNESDAY to SURF ADDICTS (the Jeff Neu version).

I even went on to work for a surf video company run by bronzed Aussie Ian Cairns, traveling the country hosting surf film premieres and hocking said surf flicks to shops up and down both coasts, in the gulf and even through the Great Lakes (that's right). So yeah, for me surfing has always been much more about the open format of guys just charging great waves and having fun while somebody films and maybe adds some artistic elements to the visuals, wave chargers fuckin' around with other surfers without airhorns or clocks or crowds or scores to limit them, stress them out. Still, there are so many sick flicks out there, how you know what good?

Well, here's the best of both worlds - a surf segment competition, presided over by surf vid legend Taylor Steele (like the Steven Spielberg of surf flicks) and Nathan Myers. They basically comb through all the hours of insane footage to find the ones that best blend mind-blowing surfing with kickin' tunes and maybe even some bizarre cut-aways to, like, nurses or unicorns or shit. It's called Innersection, the contest, and if you've got even the slightest interest in watching sick surf parts you gotta check this out. For those of you with short attention spans, this almost guarantees you won't have to watch the monotonous "lipbash-floater-roundhouse" repeat that makes some of us drool but can look like broken record of the eye to others.

Here's a good little preview courtesy of those happy little gremlins at Network A:



So enjoy. Get your wave fix. And maybe even vote in the crowd section, should the hands of fate so compel you. And hell, you and your bros charge it, maybe put in your own segment. Why not, yeah?

Happy Friday - aloha,

ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment