Friday, May 18, 2012

Huck it dude, let's go Basing

Last night I had one of my snowboarding dreams, out of season which is strange and most strange is the fact that I was actually on skis, those strange planks I haven't donned with any seriousness (only a few times have I two-planked it since I made the cross-over, in fact, usually while too hungover to try and get any serious snowboarding done) since the late 90's.

These snow dreams go either one of three ways. Either I'm jibbing out of my mind, like 360 one to 470 off down-flat rails or launching off booters so big I air over the trees, the lift cables, everything or hucking cliffs. In my dreams last night I was hucking massive cliffs, floating down to earth and landing without any worry, just an endless drop with all the weightlessness of infinite illuminated like a cloud gently descending back onto fluffy cold snow.

Most of the best life lessons I've learned from hucking cliffs and riding big mountain lines.
1. Even after you've scouted out your line, it looks different from the top. You just gotta be confident in your skills and go for it.
2. When you make the decision to huck a cliff, you gotta just point it and not waver. The worst thing you can possibly do is second-guess yourself. Once the decision is made, empty your mind and go for it, no second-guessing until you land again.
3. Make sure you can survive it. It's great to get that adrenaline rush - and to push yourself - but no jump is worth risking your life - at least not if you have a less than 60-40 chance of surviving. Maybe more like 70-30.

As such, combining my dream with these lessons and my undying love of and desired destiny to return to the Tetons (and the post that started the Friday adrenaline rush) I arrive at Erik Roner, TGR ski-basing king and Nitro Circus mini-celeb. Here's a fun clip of him hucking the massive cliffs I used to gape at in awe as I flew above it on my way up the Rendezvous Mountain tram, specifically running down Cajun Couloir with an epic ski-base at the end, shot by those masters of Jackson TGR. Here's to beating gravity at its own game. A real man is subject to no limits imposed by nature or otherwise.

Enjoy - and happy Friday.

- Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment